I could not update very good lately since i was forbidden to go outside yesterday, the lights was off and so was the internet. Why?
Because the Balinese people was celebrating Nyepi. And i am very happy i was there to see that. During these weeks in Bali, i have seen how the people of Bali have been building big statues of monsters and daemons, and last Friday i saw the result of them.
They call them Ogoh-Ogho and all the Ogho-oghos will be presented with a story during the evening of the 16th where the people can vote for the best one to win. After the competition they will be burned on a cemetery as a sign of purifying.
(This is what the people explained to us at least).
The day after no one is allowed to go outside and no electricity is allowed to be used.
Even if we had to stay in the hotel area the whole day, it was great, adn we had the most beautiful night sky ever. Dont think i have ever seen so many starts at once.
But now, Kuala Lumpur
I have not manage to update my blog properly lately since the Wifi at our last hotel was not very good. We spent a few days in Gilli islands where we stayed in bungalows and just enjoyed our time there. I am happy though that we are back to a more classy hotel where it is quite, clean and of course with a good internet connection.
My days in Gilli T was wonderful though. the first day i rent a snorkel to go out for some adventures at our beach, and you know what? i found a sea turtle! It was so cool to swim so close to it under the water, and so close to the beach.
But that was not my only experience with sea turtles. The second day we went on a boat trip with several stops to snorkel where we could see all cool kind of fishes, squids and more sea turtles. At one stop they also had some statues that stand at the bottom of the ocean, really cool. Gilli T was very beautiful and it offered a lot of nice spots to sit on the beaches, restaurants for cozy dinners and places to enjoy a drink to the sunrise.
But today we left Gilli T and headed over to Lombok. We have not seen much of it yet since we been mostly working since we arrived, but the little we seen looks great and the hotel is awesome so far (it opened up 4 days ago so i will write a review of it after our stay).
Now.. back to work.
Now we have spent 2,5 day in Ubud and i absolutely LOVE it! I loved it the minute i got out from the taxi and started to walk around. Our hotel is awesome! (will write about it in a later post) and this small city is so cozy.
Healthy food everywhere, cozy bars, yoga centers, a lot to see, and most important of it all, not full of people trying to sell you stuff every 1 meter you go.
No but i could stay here for a long time, it is really nice and peaceful. So far i managed to so this in in Ubud:
- Visited Monkey Forest
- Hired scooters and been driving almost everywhere you can go around here
- Visited rice fields
- Visited tempels
- Getting massage
- Having awesome food
- Seeing beautiful waterfalls
And i will do a lot more these upcoming days. but tomorrow we have a chill day planned, no trips in mind.
Arrived very late yesterday night but managed to find a place for dinner at 02.30 in the morning (not the one in the picture). After that we managed to get some sleep before waking up to go for an amazing breakfast (the picture).
After that we went to the beach for some swimming before going back to the hotel.
In the evening we went to a place called Sky Garden where you pay around 6-7 euro and get to eat and drink as much as you want between 17-21. And we did. After that we went to a bar where they had a great band singing covers of rock songs.
It was a fun night, but i am done with partying now, and this place is pretty much for surfing and partying. The beach is pretty dirty and there is not too much to do around here. So if you look for a cool place to party, this is it, but more nature and cool adventures, than Kuta is not the place.
Tomorrow we leave Kuta and heading over to Ubud.
We arrived in Singapore Tuesday 27th February, and left this evening (Saturday 3tth Mars).
These days in SIngapore has been totally amazing. There is so much to see and do in this Country (city). We definitely didnt have the chance to see it all, but i will tell you about some of the highlights of the trip.
- One of the absolute best things is their Hawker food places. You can find several of them spread out in the country. But what is a Hawker food center? It is the place you have missed your whole life, is the heaven of good food, and it is cheap. Singapore in general is not very cheap. going to restaurants for dinner and drinks will cost you a bit, especially the last mentioned one. But at the hawker food centers, you will find hundreds of different dishes from all over Asia for a really good price. I meal is around 5 Singapore dollar, which is around 3 euros. Cheap ans yummy AF.
- Gardens by the bay. We took this very long walk our last day and decided that our destination was going to be Gardens by the bay. Oh god i wished i visited this place earlier. We had no chance to see everything since we had a flight to catch, but we manage to walk around for a few hours. Just behind the city it is this huge garden (i would call some parts of it forest). It was just amazing and i can not really describe it with words, you have to be there, you will be amazed.
in this garden there is also some huge trees that looks super cool (check pictures), i wished i had the chance to see them by night, but at least i was lucky enough to see them at all. You can even enter one of them and on the top there is a restaurant.
- The architectur. This city is so well planned, there is not a singe spot that feels unplanned. They use every area they can to create something fantastic. You know when you google future city (or something) and you find pictures that people created in their computer softwares and made them look pretty real. That is how this city looks.
- Chinese Garden. I really enjoyed this place, even if we almost died from dehydration and heat from the sun. The buildings in this garden are really nice and peaceful. I would love to go here and just sit down somewhere in the shadow to read a book. Another awesome thing about this place is that these really big lizards are walking around there. Apparently they can grow up till 3 meters, and we saw some REALLY big ones. But dont worry. I read that they are not aggressive and will not attack you, unless you try to catch them (obviously).
- The people. The people living in Singapore are some of the friendliest i have ever met. They are so polite and helpful in every kind of way, and they speak English, which will make it easier for you to have a conversation with them. And at least during these days i spent in this country, i have not met a single person who is not nice and friendly.
Well, this is just a few things that makes Singapore so great. I have also been written down some thoughts about this country while i have been here. Things to think of or just for fun facts.
- Do not visit a park in the middle of a sunny day. You will get tired and dehydrated since the sun is so strong. It is better to wait at least until it is afternoon
- They have a lot of weird porridge dishes that seem to be very popular. Frog porridge seem to be the most popular one… I did not try it. But i also doesn’t eat frog.
- Another main ingredient i have seen in a lot of dishes here is fish heads. A popular one seem to be curry fish head. I do eat fish but eating a fish head did not really tease my taste buds to wanna try.
- They learned one thing about Scandinavian people, and that is that we can not handle spicy food. Especially since we think that the most spicy dish at the local thaiwok around the corner on our street in Sweden is spicy for real (there is probably some, i have not tried them all). But if you are one of us (me) who adores really spicy food, than you will have to let them know, and probably ask them to add the extra spicy ones to your food. Sometimes they will ask you (luckily if you forgot). And later, you will feel the power of Montezuma revenge.
- You get 3 pieces of dragon fruit for the same price as 1 cucumber! That is insane!! And a great thing since i love to snack on dragon fruit (but they are so damn expensive in Sweden) but i dont very often sit down and snack on a cucumber.
It was a great trip and i will go back here for sure. But now i have to wave goodbye to Singapore from the airplane i am currently on and continue heading to the new destination. Next stop Bali!
One thing i always look forward too the most is when i travel is to try new food and to see some cool animals. I am a huge animal lover and go crazy every time i see an animal. Singapore might not be the best place to see animals but they had some cool lizards and cute turtles in the Chinese garden. And also a lot of animals in stone. They had a garden with the theme of the Chinese zodiac signs. Further down you can see me reading on the statue of my Chinese zodiac sign, Dragon.
What is yours? You can check out here if you dont know.
Yes this Lizard is as big as it looks, i read that they can grow up to 3 meters.
Today had been a great day, We have been walking around and seen some really cool buildings, museums, streets, well mainly a lot of awesome stuff in the city.
but the absolutely best part was Marina bay by night… omg what an awesome place!
I must also say.. This city is so freaking cool. I have been to New York a couple of times (which i love) but to be honest, New York is nothing compared to this city. These buildings, the architecture, i am totally amazed. Best choice ever to take the flight and start the trip here.
This is just some photos from my mobile. i have some better ones on my camera but i will have to put them up later.